XAMPP Download For Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10
Released in May 2002 by the Apache Friends, XAMPP download is a cross-platform software package which allows its users to develop and deploy Web Servers. The application derives its name from the conglomeration of the various components it parades. The X in it denotes “Cross Platform” which means it is available across various Computer Operating Systems whether Mac, Linus, Solaris or Windows. “A” stands for the Web server’s software, Apache; “M” for MariaDB; P for PHP application’s Programming Language and the last P is another programming language called Perl. This breakdown is actually unofficial but could be arrived at by the description of the software by its developers.
There is hardly any application needed for Web Server set up that is not captured in this package. It is lightweight and because of its many similarities with the components of other Web Servers, it is capable of transitioning between servers be it a test or live mode. It is exciting to know that the application written in over ten languages, is free.
What XAMPP Is Used For
The developers of this package officially designed it to assist Website Programmers to preview their work on their system without necessarily having to connect to the internet. It was designed to host web pages on the World Wide Web (www). It is for this reason that many of its essential security features are denied by default. Only the very essential parts are however protected by a password. The security features can be enabled when the important function of the package is not in use.
However, far from just being a Web Development tool, it has been found useful by users in creating and also manipulating the database in SQLite, MariaDB and other database management systems. It also allows for a local host to be treated as if it were a remote host just by connecting with a client who uses the File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
Components of XAMPP
- Apache (Web Server)
- MariaDB (until October 2005, was formerly MySQL)
- PHP (Programming Language)
- Perl (Programming Language)
These features, particularly the Web Servers, are regularly updated to address any major setback.
File Sizes with Supported OS
- The x32 Bit Windows download of the software is about 122 Megabytes (MB)
- MacOS (x64 Bit) is available for download at a file size of 136 Megabytes (MB)
- The Linux (x64 Bit) comes in a file size of about 131MB
This package comes in two versions which are:
- Full Version
- Standard Version which is a smaller version of the Full.
It is noteworthy to state that since inception till date, there have been various updates to XAMPP to accommodate innovations in some of its Web Server components. To enjoy all the latest features, ensure you download and install the latest version which is XAMPP 5.6.30 available at the Apache Friends’ website
The software XAMPP is available for use and download in just 11 major languages of the World which are
Please note that no order or ranking of languages of any sort was considered in a listing.
Supported Operating Systems
- Windows (2008, 2012, Vista, 7, 8, 10)
- MacOS x64 Bit (10.6 or a later version)
- Linux x64 Bit (Debian, RedHat, CentOS, SUSE, Gentoo, Fedora, Arch)
Requirements for Installation
There are no special system requirements for this package as it supports most versions of Windows. Once the appropriate file has been downloaded, just ensure you have enough space on you System’s Hard Disk preferably up to 200MB and you are good to go.
How to Install the Software
Follow the step-by-step guide below to successfully install the software on your system
- The first thing to do is to download the file to your system. You can get this done at the official website apachefriends.org/index.html. Just one of its exe. tar, 7z or zip files is to be downloaded and installed and no further configuration is required.
- Save the file at a location of your choice on your Computer and then wait for it to be completely downloaded.
- After successfully downloading the file, install it by clicking on the “run” button at the interface. You will see a command pop-up prompting installation. Accept the default settings by clicking on “Enter”. No need to worry, you can always come back to re-edit after installation
- Upon successful installation, ensure you close the window by simply typing “x”.
- Return to the application icon and start the components (MySQL, Apache) if you wish to use it at that time.
- You can verify the components by clicking on their respective administrative links in the Control Panel
- If all components have been successfully installed, you will be led to a page telling you of a successful installation. You can ascertain this by entering “Localhost” on any of your Internet Browsers.
Alternatives to XAMMP
Expectedly, this package hasn’t enjoyed the monopoly of the Web Servers’ market. It has some competitors as it were, some of which are here listed
- WampServer (Only available on Windows OS)
- MAMP (Different licenses for different OS)
- BitNami Application Stacks (no Apache or PHP)
- USB Webserver
- It is free
- Very easy to install
- The software is lightweight compared to the components present.
- The tools present are very comprehensive leaving Web developers with less stress
- Its Control Panel which is GUI-based ensures that modules or services are operated effortlessly
- Available in many languages
- It boasts of wide support for different Operating Systems
- Usage requires some levels of expertise. Its components are very complex and can be complicated to use for beginners in Website Development.
XAMPP For Windows
XAMPP download is a fantastic Web Development tool which has the ease of its users at heart. Many Website developers and programmers hold it dearly because of its comprehensiveness. It hardly has any demerit save for its somewhat complexity. Again, whether you love Windows OS, Solaris or you are the MacOS type, the package makes itself available for you. This remains a great plus for it as other competing alternatives have Operating System limitations. No wonder it remains the World’s most used Web Server Software.